Senior Synthetic Chemist
Senior position within synthetic chemistry for a global and innovative Biopharmaceutical company
Your new company
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. AstraZeneca is proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. In AstraZeneca, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The Innovative Medicines (iMed) of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases pushes the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients suffering from Heart Failure, Diabetes or Chronic Kidney Disease. CVMD iMed is agnostic to molecular modality and utilizes small molecules, peptides, macrocycles, oligonucleotides, etc., which provides a unique opportunity to address scientific questions in an innovative way and creates a stimulating environment for you as a Chemist. The pipeline and the areas of scientific leadership is largely driven in collaborations with the best experts in the world, which gives you as a scientist, access to the most recent knowledge and opportunities to stay at the forefront of science.
The Medicinal Chemistry Department within the CVMD iMed is a critical player in identifying novel targets and chemical series primarily around small molecules but is expanding the capabilities in alternative modalities such as peptides and oligonucleotides.
The department has the size of 55 employees, incl. 3 at our satellite unit at the Max-Planck Institute in Dortmund, and constitutes a highly educated (2/3 PhD’s), experienced, science driven organization. In addition, a number of post-docs, PhD’s and students work with us to bring innovation in our key areas. We need you who like to explore new scientific approaches and work in an open and collaborative environment to influence drug design and make the future drugs.
This is a senior scientific lab-based role within the Medicinal Chemistry department. You will be an authority in synthetic chemistry and will develop and lead the science in this field. You will have a profound impact on multiple projects across the CVMD iMed, in all phases from target selection to drug candidate selection. The role holder will also provide discipline-based scientific leadership and represent the department and AstraZeneca at interdisciplinary meetings internally as well as externally. The role-holder will influence the strategy of synthetic chemistry and medicinal chemistry towards the future needs
Ideally, you should have a Ph.D. degree in Organic Chemistry with 5 or more years post-doctoral research experience in synthetic chemistry directed towards biologically active molecules. You will have the ability to operate effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix research environment, where you will provide leadership and insight in synthetic chemistry. You will be recognized internationally as evidenced by your external disclosures and publication record. This role also demands in-depth collaboration skills.
- Retro-synthetic analysis and route optimization and delivery of novel compounds, typically in the scale of 50 mg to 1g, to biological testing.
- Responsible together with the Medicinal Chemistry Leadership Team and peers for a clear, compelling scientific strategy in the field of synthetic organic chemistry ranging from synthesis of small molecules to oligonucleotides/RNA therapeutics.
- Initiate, lead and implement new innovations in the field of organic synthesis including e.g. C-H activation, Late Stage Functionalization, miniaturization and automation, flow chemistry, photochemistry, electrochemistry and biocatalysis.
- Evaluate and manage external collaborations and CRO’s.
- Demonstrate scientific leadership through high quality publications, conference presentations and by building networks across AZ and with external scientific leading groups.
- Excellent knowledge of modern preparative organic chemistry.
- Excellent awareness of recent literature and leading academic groups within synthetic organic chemistry.
- Very good written and verbal communication skills, including presentation to senior leaders, and clearly written documents and scientific papers.
- Expertise in using IT tools relevant to scientific areas of competence.
- Highly self-motivated and with crisp decision-making.
- Good ability to lead other scientists and create commitment and engagement.
The process is ongoing and the position can be filled before last application date. We are evaluating applications from candidates that are located in Sweden as well as applications from candidates that are open to relocate.
We will be conducting ongoing interviews so please apply now, or contact us for further information. To apply, please click on the tab below and attach your CV and a brief application in ONE document.
To discuss this in more detail, please contact Recruitment Consultant Céline Konrad at +45 2936 8816, or Senior Recruitment Consultant Mikkel Kristiansen at +45 2936 8824.
Hays Denmark is part of Hays Plc, which is listed on London Stock Exchange (FTSE 250). Hays Plc is the world's leading recruiting experts in qualified, professional and skilled work.
We operate across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. We are market leaders in the UK and Australia, and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe. As of September 2011, the Group employed 7,600 staff operating from 255 offices in 31 countries across 20 specialisms.
Our combination of deep expertise across a wide spectrum of specialised industries and professions makes us unparalleled recruiters in the world of work.
Hays Specialist Recruitment A/S has operated in Denmark since 2008. We specialise in following areas of specialism: Accountancy & Finance, Banking, Construction & Property, Engineering, HR, Insurance, IT, Legal, Logistics, Life Sciences and Sales & Marketing. For more information see www.hays.dk