The Machine Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for an Electromechanical Technician.
Description of Accelerator Division?
The Accelerator Division is responsible for the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the ESS accelerator. The pulsed superconducting linac, to be built in Lund, will produce a 5 MW average power proton beam, driving the world´s most powerful neutron source.
Description of RF Section
The RF Section is responsible for generating, distributing and regulating 125 MW of pulsed RF power to 155 accelerating RF cavities of six different types. For an overview, see chapter 4 of the ESS Technical Design Report.
Qualifications and main responsibilities
As RF/Electronics Technician your main responsibilities will be to assist in the design, specification, procurement, and installation of the ESS RF system with specific emphasis on electronics and RF systems. Your main areas of responsibility include:
- Design and construction of electronic circuits for measurement, control and protection
- Support with design, installation and commissioning of the phase reference line, master oscillator and LLRF systems
- Support with rack layout, cabling and assembly
- Procurement of electronics parts and equipment
- Assembly of PCBs, cables and RF subsystems
- Integration of subsystems into the complete RF system
- Test and measurement of electronic circuits
- Characterisation of electronics equipment
- Participation in installation, testing, commissioning and evaluation
- Support with set up of test stands on site, test and characterisation of prototypes
- Support with identification of machine equipment required
- Support with site installation and commissioning of the ESS linac RF systems
- Support with identification and selection of test and measurement equipment
- Supervision of contractors and suppliers as required.
To be successful in this position, you will be a self-motivated, hands-on creative person confident working with electronics and some computing. You have a relevant academic and practical experience in RF or electrical engineering with several years of relevant experience. You work well independently and within a group. Your pride yourself of the quality of your work and are prepared to take on a range of tasks adopting to priorities and changes as required.
You have proven specific experience in:
- Electronic and RF design, assembly and testing
- PCB assembly, soldering and fault finding down to component level
- You are proficient in drafting of electrical diagrams using ePLAN or similar
- Use/design of RF devices, amplifiers and RF systems
- ESD procedures and tooling to prevent damage in electronic systems
- RF test and measurement including specific experience with common test equipment including network and spectrum analysers, oscilloscopes, RF power meters and typical RF components including RF couplers, circulators, transmission lines etc.
Experience of the following is an advantage.
- RF components including filters, splitters, amplifiers, circulators, loads etc.
- Power supply design and design of electronic circuits and systems
- EPICS, PLC, FPGA programming or similar
- Production and working with safety procedures.
In addition to your technical skills you:
- Have good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Are fluent in written and spoken English
- Work in a systematic way, have good organisational and report keeping skills
- Must be available for occasional travel
- It is expected that during commissioning and operation there may be a requirement for occasional shift working.
Experience of working in a research environment would be particularly relevant, as would any experience you may have gained in an international environment. Basic knowledge of Swedish or Danish would also be valuable.
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
What ESS can offer?
At ESS we offer people with talent and passion a unique opportunity to be involved in the development and building of a world leading facility for materials research. Besides attractive employment and relocation conditions, the flexibility to balance work life with private life and good opportunities to further enhance your skills; you will also enjoy being part of a company culture that promotes and supports internal career growth. We pride ourselves in having successful collaboration across different functions, and as the company continues to grow we will keep nurturing the international and vibrant environment welcoming people from all across the world.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and covering letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website.
The deadline for applications is October 23, 2016.
For further information regarding the position, please contact Morten Jensen, firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer Sara Margaryan, email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application, get involved, you are needed.