Electro-Mechanic Technician/Operator of Cryogenic Systems
The Machine Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for an electro-mechanic technician/operator of cryogenic systems.
ESS söker en tekniker som ska ingå i vår Specialized Technical Services Group. Du kommer att jobba dels inom gruppen, dels med övriga grupper inom accelerator divisionen för att gemensamt definiera, designa, installera, upphandla och slutligen hantera vårt kylsystem i drift. Vi tror att du är en tekniker eller elektriker med praktisk erfarenhet inom både mekanik och elektronik. Vi är en internationell organisation och flytande engelska i tal och skrift är därför ett krav.
Description of directorate/division/group:
The cryogenics team in the Specialized Technical Services Group works alongside other groups in the Accelerator Division to define, design, install, commission and finally operate and maintain the cryogenic systems of the ESS. These efforts extend also to cryogenic need in the Target Division and the Neutron Instruments Division.
Description of main responsibilities:
The successful candidate shall
- Assist in installation activities of the ESS cryoplants
- Assist in procurement of tools, auxiliary equipment and furnishing a workshop for the cryogenic team at ESS
- Participate in commissioning and acceptance testing of warm compressor systems and coldbox systems
- Assist in collecting all required documentation for operation and maintenance of the cryogenic system
- Perform limited physical modifications on the cryogenic system
- Check regularly state and performance of cryoplants’ sub-components e.g. compressors, oil skids, cooling water units etc.
- Disassemble and assemble sub-components like turbo-expander cartridges, oil pump and filter skids etc.
- Perform maintenance tasks as required
- Perform leak tests of sub-components
- Transfer liquid helium and liquid nitrogen from big storage vessels to smaller mobile dewars after training
- Monitor and operate the cryoplants
- Improve guidelines and procedures for safe operations
- Document accurately and comprehensively all interactions and occurrences with respect to the cryogenic system
He or she will support the cryogenic engineers and communicate with colleagues, consultants and suppliers to ensure safe and timely commissioning and stable operation of the relevant equipment and processes of the ESS machine.
Training for special maintenance tasks and cryogenic operation activities will be provided.
A technical degree in electrical or mechanical engineering (Gymnasium). Ideally you should be an electrician with hands-on mechanical skills or a mechanic with profound know how in electrical and/or control systems.
At least 3 years practical experience and know how in at least four of the following fields is mandatory:
- Familiarity with ordinances from the Swedish Arbetsmiljöverket with respect to process plants and pressurised equipment like AFS 2005: 3, AFS 2002: 1, etc.
- Operation and maintenance of rotating machinery in process plants, power plants or similar facilities, preferably compressor systems
- Proficiency in reading and understanding Pipes and Instruments Diagrams (P&IDs) and/or electrical diagrams
- Handling of systems with pressurised and or liquefied gasses including pressure and leak tests, safety procedures etc.
- Familiarity with SS-EN 50110 and related standards for electrical installations
- Knowledge in operation of high voltage (6.6 kV) switchgears
- Maintenance of variable frequency drives, motors, power supplies etc.
- Maintenance of control cabinets including cabling
- Troubleshooting of PLC, remote IO, network switches and related connectivity, compatibility etc. problems
Knowledge in helium applications or cryogenics or welding certificates are advantageous but not a must.
Demonstrated ability to work with others, to communicate efficiently and to take initiative.
It is expected that during commissioning, early operations and later in maintenance periods occasional shift work (including nights and weekends) is required. In the normal operation phase scheduled on-call service but no permanent physical presence at site is required during off-business hours.
Excellent oral and written Swedish and English skills are a prerequisite.
You as a person:
We truly believe that to enjoy and perform in this position, you consider these following competencies as a significant part of your character:
Adaptability, accuracy, good communication skills and the ability to identify issues and proactively work to solve them.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website.
The deadline for applications is 29th of January, 2017.
For further information regarding the position, please contact Philipp Arnold, email@example.com. For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Sara Margaryan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application.