Technical Application Scientist (German speaking)
At Illumina we are constantly looking for great people to join us, and we encourage you to please apply to this Evergreen position as it will add you to our TALENT POOL for prospective candidates for Illumina’s future roles. This is the first place our Recruiters and Hiring Teams will look when opening future positions. In addition, by applying you may be asked to be part of informational interviews.
Provide technical direction and support to customers using Illumina Technology in Europe, Middle East and Africa region.
Based in the European headquarters of Illumina near Cambridge, the role is to work in the technical support team for the EMEA region.
As a product expert, you will provide support to customers and colleagues on Illumina's products; bead array and Next Generation Sequencing. You’ll also be able to utilise any European language skills (particularly if you have French, Italian, German or Spanish) supporting primarily a designated region of Europe.
Like you, we know the importance of your role and offer you a collaborative and supportive environment in which you are encouraged to continually develop your skills and knowledge. Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome - If that inspires you, let’s talk.
You’ll join a culture fuelled by innovation, collaboration and openness, helping change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets.
All about the role
Responsibilities will include:
- Professionally, efficiently and conclusively triage, troubleshoot and resolve customer’s technical questions
- Log and manage customer issues using Illumina’s issue-tracking database
- Troubleshoot a variety of issues related to Illumina products with a focus on instruments under limited instruction
- Keen interest in learning our bead array technology and support our end-users of the technology
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure efficient and timely support for our customers
- Assist customers with and provide analysis of customer data
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with customers
- Triage and dispatch issues requiring field support to Field Service Engineers and Field Applications Scientists/Specialists
- Provide technical guidance regarding the choice and use of the appropriate Illumina product to existing and prospective customers
- Working closely with sales and marketing, QA/QC, research and development to address customer concerns, determine corrective action and customer follow-up
- Sitting in the technical support department of the Illumina headquarters office in Europe, you will collaborate with colleagues and other teams to offer the level and quality of support our customers expect
All about you
Preferred Educational and Experience Background:
- Ph.D./ M.S or B.S. plus previous relevant lab experience in molecular biology, genetics, software & bioinformatics or related field
- European language skills – French, Italian, German or Spanish
- Hands-on laboratory experience using, developing or troubleshooting a wide range of molecular biology protocols such as PCR, sequencing, gene expression analysis, genotyping, and related procedures with a strong flavour of Software & Bioinformatics usage
- Teaching experience desirable
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills required
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and training skills a MUST
- Experience working in any service role desired
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Outlook required
It would be brilliant (but not necessary) if you also have:
- Must be very detail oriented
- Biotech experience preferred with previous experience in a direct external customer support role
- Hands-on experience with BeadArrays or another microarray technology
- Experience with microarray data analysis from Illumina or other format
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing technology
- Excellent understanding of software & bioinformatics/genetics, sequence alignment algorithms or related disciplines
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication and training skills
- Customer facing role in sales or support
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.