Python Developer (Clinical Genomics Research)
Excellent remuneration package which would include company equity, annual bonus, private healthcare and more!
Illumina’s goal is to transform human health by applying innovative genomics technologies to the analysis of genetic variation and function. Our mission is to support clinicians and healthcare researchers to understand genetic disease. Are you a talented developer with a desire to work on software that can make this goal a reality?
Illumina are the global leaders in next generation DNA sequencing technology. From our EMEA headquarters in Cambridgeshire we develop chemistries, hardware, and software that are making the use of genomic information more routine, affordable and accurate – and so revolutionising human healthcare. As a result of our ongoing success, we have an exciting opportunity for a Software Developer to join our Clinical Genomics Research group.
You will join a small group of experienced developers and data analysts who are prototyping new medical applications for genome sequencing, focussing on rare disease and cancer. We collaborate on both internal R&D programmes and projects led by external research groups. We have a host of compelling questions to address, and are continually pushing to produce innovative solutions with agility and speed. The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and be intrinsically driven to create high-quality software.
- Design, code, test, and maintain high-quality applications in a scrum team setting
- Collaborate with a range of stakeholders to capture and document user requirements
- Provide technical support for relevant validation and verification activities
Technical Skills and Experience
- Expert scientific Python (SciPy, NumPy, Pandas)
- Degree in a technical/scientific subject
- Understanding of full software development lifecycle in a production environment
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development methodologies
- Good understanding of object-oriented design
- Experience writing high-quality unit tests
- Proficient with a version control system (preferably Git)
- Experience with data visualisation and interpretation
- Experience in large-scale data analysis and pipeline development
- Back-end technologies (Flask, RDBMS, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Redis etc.)
- Containerisation (Docker, Singularity)
- A self-motivated team player
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- A problem solver
- Meticulous and methodical in creating solutions
We are open to using a variety of technologies in our projects, and support the learning and adoption of new skills.
This is a great opportunity for a Developer who wants to work on software that promises to have real-world impact and who also enjoys a highly multidisciplinary environment. Interested parties can apply via Illumina’s career pages using the reference 7559BR:
All About Us
Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.4 billion in 2016. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its “World’s Smartest Companies” list each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.