Research Associate (Automation)
Fantastic remuneration package to include company equity, annual bonus scheme, private healthcare, 10% pension and more!
Illumina are the world leaders in Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS) solutions, providing innovative products that allow the power of genomics to impact on a wide variety of industry sectors. Within Systems Integration, we work closely with other functions to bring together the hardware, software and reagents and develop a robust and successful end product. As part of our ongoing mission to create transformative and robust NGS workflows, we are looking for an Associate Scientist to focus mainly on the automation side of the exciting and novel projects currently underway at Illumina.
We are looking for a candidate with expertise in developing, troubleshooting and innovating around automated systems and wanting to create cutting edge NGS workflows.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a strong automation background to become the Systems Integration group automation expert in a highly cross-functional environment. Whilst automation will constitute the majority of the job role, there is also the opportunity to work on the world-class sequencers developed at Illumina.
- Develop novel sample handling methods/protocols on liquid handling systems
- Transfer and integrate new library prep methods onto automated platforms
- Troubleshoot both novel and current automation methods for Illumina NGS workflows
- Generate proof of concept data to support new automation protocols and their integration into Illumina’s current projects
- Liaise with and support multiple product development teams to provide lab automation expertise
- Manage scheduling for the Systems Integration automation system
- Minimum of a BSc in a scientific discipline
- Proven experience of working with lab automation, including optimisation and in particular troubleshooting
- Experience of programming automated liquid handling systems
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Ability to work autonomously, as well as strong collaboration within multiple project teams
- Knowledge of NGS technology
- Knowledge/experience of the Hamilton line of liquid handling platforms
- Experience with NGS technology
- Knowledge/experience in molecular biology
- Experience of high throughput laboratory working practices
This role would suit a candidate who has a flair for automation and troubleshooting, who takes an innovative approach to transferring manual processes to automated workflows. It is a great opportunity to play a key role in multiple projects that have a direct impact on Illumina’s success and their ability to transform human healthcare.
All About Us:
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fuelled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.4 billion in 2016. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its “World’s Smartest Companies” list each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.