Data Centre Site Operations Manager
This position owns the operation and management of the Apple Data Centre site located in Viborg, Denmark, to provide stable and cost effective hosting services for Apple’s internal and external applications and services including “Mission Critical” services such as iTunes, iCloud, Apple Online Store, Apple’s Retail stores, Siri, Apple Maps, Apple Pay as well as critical Enterprise services such as SAP, Directory Services and credit card processing systems.
- Preferred previous senior management experience with up to director level responsibility for data center and other IT disciplines.
- Will have successfully managed high density, Internet Data Centers of a size and complexity commensurate with Apple’s Data Centers.
- Data Center and Systems Management experience with “best practices” in the area of Data Center operations and infrastructure monitoring, Problem Management, Change Management and Configuration Management.
- Effective leadership abilities, ability to plan, organize, and motivate others to achieve objectives.
- Ability to make timely and effective decisions that are based on sound judgment and business rationale.
- Excellent project management and project planning skills; strong organization skills and professional demeanor. Ability to work under pressure and manage difficult situations.
- Must have previous relevant experience of managing technical senior individual contributors and managers.
- Demonstrated abilities to prepare and manage annual expense budgets in excess of $30 + million with a strong understanding of and experience with IT procurement practices and contract negotiations.
This person will join the Apple Data Center team initially as part of the project team to plan and construct the data center, once the site is operational they will be required to set and maintain a culture of operational rigor throughout all teams at the site, manage high priority problems, handle escalations and maintain timely and accurate communication to executive management. They will also inspire and support effective collaboration, communication and teamwork within the site’s operations and with other DC sites. In this role the person will work closely with other Apple DC site manager’s on the development and effective deployment of standard procedures and practices across all sites as well as driving a culture of continual improvement throughout their site.
You will be accountable for the following activities:
- The management of all activities within the boundaries of the assigned site
- The detailed management of all facilities related activities covering both electrical and mechanical systems at the Data Centers.
- Management of both planned maintenance and break-fix activities including all implementation planning work scheduling and associated change management.
- Root cause analysis and corrective action formulation and closure for any significant incidents. The detailed management of all racking and cabling for the installation, movement and decommissioning of devices hosted at the Data Center.
- Management of customer service requests for this work including rack elevation and structured cabling planning, work scheduling and associated change management.
- Delivery of these services to agreed quality and service levels and the publishing of quality and service level reports. Root cause analysis and corrective action formulation and closure for any significant incidents.
- The detailed management of site material receiving, shipping, inventory management and materials movement on site in support of both Facilities operations and Site Services operations.
- Site Logistics operations.
- Collaboration with peer Data Center managers to develop, publish and maintain standard processes covering all areas of DC Site Operations.
- These processes to be consistent across all Data Center sites and adhered to by all personnel working at the Data Center site.
- Collaboration with peer Data Center managers to develop and pursue continual improvement initiatives to drive down total cost of DC operations and drive up service quality.
- Collaboration with the GDCS Capacity Management team to ensure availability of and effective utilization of available DC space and power.
- Collaboration with Data Center Architecture and Design team to drive down total cost of DC operations and reduce DC delivery lead time.
- Collaboration with other IS&T leaders to develop, put into place and maintain readiness for those portions of IS&T’s Disaster Recovery planning that relate to the Data Center site.
- To rapidly and effectively put into effect those Disaster Recovery plans when called upon.
- Publication of weekly, monthly and quarterly site operational dashboards and reports.
- Site capital expenditure, operational expense planning, headcount planning, forecasting, recruitment, management and control.
- Staff performance planning and management including the development and management of performance plans that align with GDCS overall goals and objectives.
- Site environmental matters, health and safety matters.
- Site security matters including relevant areas of SOX and PCI process compliance.
- BSc or BA and 10+ years of related experience with a consistent record of progressively increasing responsibilities.