The International Woodland Company A/S (IWC), headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark, and with regional offices in Melbourne, Australia and North Carolina, United States, is seeking a US forester with knowledge of timberland investments, to join its investment team. IWC, founded in 1991, is today a global provider of forest investment related services.
You will join a team comprised of investment foresters, economists, and portfolio managers, who jointly, on behalf of our clients, oversee global timberland investments valued at USD 5 billion. Your specific regional area of responsibility will be to oversee externally managed investments in the US.
These responsibilities will include:
- On behalf of IWC’s clients, oversee US timberland investment performances on a quarterly basis, including review of forestry operations and budgets on multiple funds and properties throughout the US
- Analyze and review independent third-party appraisals and track key performance metrics in IWC’s internal database
- Visit forest investments and managers throughout the US
- Monitor and report on US regional timberland markets and investment drivers
- Contribute to portfolio planning and evaluation
- Assist with investment ideas generation, deal sourcing, investment due diligence, including contributions to cost and price benchmarking, price forecasts, and market outlooks
- Develop strong and positive relationships with IWC’s external managers in the US.
The position will require that you join the team in Copenhagen (at least for a period) and that you are willing to travel, predominantly to the US. Travel will expectedly not exceed 30 days annually.
Depending on preferences, and after a 6 to 18-months period in Copenhagen, and subject to candidate preferences, job location could potentially be moved to the US, in that case to an eastern time zone.
Your qualifications and experience
IWC’s ideal candidate has:
- 2-3 years of experience in the US timberland industry, including direct timberland management experience
- A university degree in forestry, preferably including courses in economics, finance, or related disciplines, with a post graduate degree viewed favorably
- Experience in timberland valuation and appraisal methodology
- Good understanding of certification and ESG principles.
We expect you to have great interpersonal skills and a positive mindset. You enjoy working in a team as well as independently and you relate just as well to professionals in the financial sector as you do to local forest managers. You value quality and can prioritize important tasks. You are not afraid of challenges, contributing to internal discussions and you adapt to new situations and tasks quickly.
Your application’s documents should show:
- Professional experience in timberland investment, forest valuation and forest management planning
- University degree in forestry, preferably enhanced by a specialization in forest economics
- Advanced MS Office skills, in particular Excel
- Business language at IWC is English, so fluency in oral and written English is a requirement.
What we offer
We offer you a challenging job with prospects for development in a company where we have a positive and dedicated attitude. You will be part of an international team with various educational backgrounds.
Gross salary will be competitive, dependent upon qualifications, experience, and IWC’s salary system.
The position will initially be based at IWC’s headquarter in Copenhagen, Denmark. Commencement date is as soon as possible and practical.
How to apply
Additional information about the position is available from Lars Holm Simonsen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
You can also visit IWC’s website at www.iwc.dk. Cover letter, CV, and relevant enclosures should be in English and sent by e-mail to Lars Holm Simonsen. Closing date for application is May 15, 2018.