Head of Regulatory Surveillance & Risk Policy Unit
The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Risk Management Directorate (RM) - Regulation & EIB Group Risk Department (REG) - Regulation & BBP Division (BBP) - Regulatory Surveillance & Risk Policy Unit (S&RU), at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
Head of Regulatory Surveillance & Risk Policy Unit
This is a full time position at grade 5/6
The term of this contract will be 4 years
Panel interviews are anticipated for the 2nd and 3rd week of September 2018
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs,
with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
The Head of Unit leads a team in charge of monitoring and analysing prudential regulatory developments, contribute to implementation of prudential regulations, provide specialist advice on prudential regulatory matters, provide input to the EIB’s BBP framework (the BBP Guiding Principles and the BBP Book), develop and update risk policy documents (e.g., the Group Risk Management Charter) and coordinate regular RM prudential BBP compliance self-assessments.
As Head of Unit you will manage a team that contributes to further alignment with prudential requirements deemed applicable to the EIB under the best banking practice (BBP) framework. You will have regular contacts with colleagues in other EIB Directorates, notably the Front Office Lending, Transaction Monitoring, Legal Department and General Secretariat. You will interact as well with external consultants, external bodies active in the field of banking regulation and supervision, internal/external auditors. You will build a network of external contacts in your area of activity.
- Provide input in the elaboration of the Risk Management directorate’s strategy (goals, objectives and priorities) and policies (set of plans that are used for making decisions and achieve rational outcomes) by suggesting goals and priorities in order to ensure that the overall policies reflect practical operational needs
- Manage and execute the key area processes related to the Regulatory Surveillance & Risk Policy Unit such as:
- Monitor and analyse prudential regulatory developments in the area of risk management, assess impact on EIB Group’s activities
- Propose responses on relevant draft regulations and guidelines submitted to public consultation, where applicable
- Build and maintain a comprehensive inventory of relevant prudential regulations issued by international and EU regulatory bodies
- Provide input to ad-hoc analyses and written communications on specific regulatory matters to senior management or external bodies
- Contribute to the Bank’s self-assessment of compliance with best banking practice in terms of risk policies, processes and procedures
- Contribute to the implementation of specific BBP projects in the area of risk management
- Participate in projects and/or working groups of horizontal nature, build and maintain relationships with internal partners in the Bank at all levels so as to ensure that appropriate internal cooperation and communication is maintained
- Plan, organize, and supervise the activities of the unit. Ensure an effective cooperation among team members and rest of the Bank staff, as well as dissemination and cross-fertilization of information within the unit and in between the units of the division. Propose streamlining of unit procedures.
- Lead, organise, motivate and coach the team. Set the objectives, work plans and key operational processes for own unit in order to support the achievement of the division’s objectives.
- In coordination with the Head of Division, lead the appraisal process for the team (objectives setting, mid-year and year-end appraisal)
- In liaison with the Head of Division lead the recruitment process for new staff for the Division
- University degree (in Business Administration, Finance, Law, Economics) with relevant exposure to Banking / Finance / Risk Management. Post-graduate studies in one of these subjects would be an advantage.
- At least 8 years of experience in implementing prudential regulations acquired in a bank, with a banking regulator/supervisor or as a consultancy provider
- Experience in managing and mentoring coaching people ideally in multicultural environments or international organisations (e.g. contribution to: choosing determining team resources and skills; establishing objectives; assessing performance; delegating and supervising tasks; guiding, motivating, coaching and providing feedback) would be considered an advantage.
- Practical knowledge and deep understanding of the prudential regulatory framework and recent developments
- Demonstrated experience in project management
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrable experience in drafting documents for senior management
- Fluent in English or French(*) and a solid understanding of the other; knowledge of other European languages would be an advantage.
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
- Developing Others: Builds the long-term capability of others by guiding and developing them to make the most of their competence and potential, based on an accurate understanding of their true strengths and development needs.
- Strategic Thinking: Thinks about the long-term organisation strategy and how to align to and implement it; come up with useful new strategic insights.
- Team Leadership: Builds a high performing team, ensuring it is focused, motivated and inspired to achieve organisational objectives, encouraging performance excellence and addressing underperformance when required.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
Deadline for applications: 27th July 2018
For more information on how to apply, please click the Apply button.
Reference: Job 105220