Lawyer-Linguist with Danish as main language
You will be part of the Legislation Division in the Directorate General Legal Services. We are responsible for preparing the ECB’s legal acts in the official EU languages, drafting legal documents and ensuring their legal, linguistic and terminological consistency, and publishing and disseminating the ECB’s legal framework and other legal publications.
In your role as Lawyer-Linguist with Danish as your main language, you will be primarily responsible for translating ECB legal acts and other legal texts from English into Danish and for revising translations of such texts provided by external suppliers. The documents relate to both central banking and banking supervision. You will work closely with other lawyer-linguists and lawyers in the Directorate General Legal Services, as well as staff from a variety of other ECB business areas. You may also be asked to contribute to the legal knowledge management function in the Directorate General Legal Services.
We are willing to discuss part-time arrangements and the possibility of working remotely.
As a Lawyer-Linguist you will:
- translate draft ECB legal acts and other legal documents from English into Danish;
- translate documents related to court proceedings from English into Danish;
- revise Danish translations of ECB legal acts and other legal documents;
- translate legal texts from Danish into English for internal working purposes, and revise translations from Danish into English of national laws, documents related to court proceedings and other legal documents;
- contribute to the drafting of ECB legal acts;
- contribute to the coordination of the work of the team of lawyer-linguists on multilingual translation projects;
- liaise with counterparts at the ECB, Danmarks Nationalbank and other relevant European and national institutions;
- cooperate with freelance lawyer-linguists, which involves establishing and maintaining contacts, training and information-sharing;
- contribute, as required, to the legal knowledge management function in the Directorate General Legal Services and to the general legal work of the ECB.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to contribute to the quality of ECB legal acts. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a mastery-level command of Danish, which should be your main language;
- a mastery-level command of English;
- a master’s degree or equivalent (read more) in law obtained at a Danish university.
- professional experience in translating legal, financial or economic texts from English into Danish or Danish into English;
- professional experience in drafting and/or translating legislation;
- professional experience as a lawyer-linguist, preferably with an EU institution;
- a good knowledge of EU and financial law;
- experience in legal knowledge management or a good understanding of legal knowledge management functions in law firms or in-house legal departments;
- familiarity with or professional experience working with translation memory software, such as SDL Trados Studio, and/or a terminology management package, such as SDL Trados MultiTerm;
- an intermediate command of a third official language of the EU.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
The recruitment process for this position may include a remote written exercise or a pre-recorded video interview at the pre-selection stage and – if you are invited to participate further in the selection procedure – an on-site written exercise and interviews.
Application and selection process
For further information on how to join us, please click the Apply button.
Type of contract: Fixed-term contract which may be converted into a permanent contract after three years subject to individual performance and organisational needs.
Who can apply: EU nationals
Salary: F/G band and benefits
Working time: Full-time
Place of work: Frankfurt, Germany
Closing date for applications: Monday, 20 August 2018