Director, Legal and Compliance Nordics & Baltics
The Legal and Compliance Director Nordics & Baltics will be primarily responsibility for the protection of the legal interests of MSD and its personnel by handling all legal and critical compliance matters arising in all four Nordic countries, and each of the Baltic States.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Legal & Compliance for Mid-Europe & Israel, the attorney will be responsible for delivering high-quality and timely guidance on a wide variety of country and regional matters to help ensure that MSD remains in material compliance with applicable laws and regulations, as well as internal corporate policies, standards and guidance.
As a member of the EUCAN Legal & Compliance Team, the Legal and Compliance Director will also be expected to provide legal and compliance support on certain regional projects and liaise with other MSD attorneys throughout the world. The exact nature of allocated regional activities will depend to a large extent on the individual’s experience and qualifications, and the specifics of the particular projects.
- Commercial Matters
- Provide disciplined guidance, and act as a trusted advisor to, management and employees at all levels
- Provide legal guidance on all commercial activities, including tenders/market access matters, and an array of day-to-day commercial transactions and business undertakings,
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements
- Advise on commercial/corporate and labour issues and negotiate with external parties on behalf of the Company, where needed or appropriate
- Advise on competition law, and help shape pro-competitive programs and offerings.
Business Standards & Compliance
Partner with business to develop compliance objectives and priorities to help ensure there is effective compliance program; Active member on compliance committees, advising teams on legal and compliance issues and working with them to address risks and find solutions.
Develop and conduct compliance material and trainings;
Review and approve new or substantial changes to compliance related policies; Provide input to global policies, procedures and standards based on local regulations; support implementation of new and revised policies; provide interpretation and recommendations for local implementation
Conduct/oversee investigations with Global Security, Audit and/or International Compliance where needed;
Support business partners with ongoing consultation and guidance in interpreting policies or guidance, answering specific compliance questions and reviewing new programs to ensure they are executed in compliance with applicable policies and requirements; support business leaders’ efforts to drive awareness of Corporate Policies and Procedures
Legal and Regulatory Requirements
Monitor changes and developments in the legal and regulatory environment within which the Company operates
Advise Country and Regional Management of significant legal and corporate developments and trends in support of Company business and support in development of appropriate strategies
Provide advice and legal support on application and maintenance of all authorizations, permits, licenses, contracts and communication needed for local operations, including importation, manufacturing and marketing of products
Provide guidance in support of the Company’s commitment to comply with all legislative requirements including anti-corruption/anti-bribery (including the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act), fair competition and antitrust legislations
Provide internal legal review of promotional programs and materials according to local laws and Company standards
Initiate and respond to regulatory/competitor challenges as may be necessary.
Initiate, defend, negotiate, settle and manage all litigation and disputes arising from business operations, including adverse reaction claims and regulatory challenges.
Liaise with internal and external IP attorneys on IP disputes and IP protection matters.
Labour and Personnel Issues
Support the Human Resources Department in management of Works Council as well as in planning and implementing Company strategies in relation to restructuring as may be needed.
Advise on sensitive personnel situations, prepare and review legal documentation as required, e.g. employment and separation agreements, releases, etc.
Corporate Work – Statutory Director Matters
Act as Statutory Director of MSD subsidiaries as required.
External Counsel Management:
Supervise and manage external legal counsel and legal expenditure in accordance with Company guidance.
- Qualified to practice law in a European country, ideally in one of the Nordic countries or in the USA
- Professional or academic legal qualification or experiences in multiple jurisdictions would be advantageous
- Additional degrees in science or business disciplines would be advantageous.
Required experience and skills:
- Minimum 8 years post qualification legal and compliance experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical industry; international experience is a strong plus
- In-house experience in a multinational organisation; and/or experience in a top tier law firm
- Ability to identify key issues and consistently apply a high standard of integrity, professionalism, legal knowledge and expertise and business ethics
- Ability to provide commercially focused and value-added legal advice
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills
- Ability to design, implement and administer compliance programs and procedures
- Very strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work independently and prioritise work under pressure
- Ability to work autonomously as well as within a team environment
- Ability to deal with a broad range of people across all levels
- Ability to influence cross-functional teams and senior management in the business
- Proactive and responsive
- Practical approach with a “can do” attitude
- Language ability: fluency in English and any of Danish, Norwegian or Swedish
- In-house experience with a pharmaceutical company or US-based multinational organisation
- Private practice experience in advising the pharmaceutical industry; or
- Private practice experience in providing general commercial, regulatory, including anti-trust, marketing and/or privacy issues. Some experience in commercial litigation and general labour law desirable
- Knowledge of the US FCPA and the EFPIA Codes would be highly advantageous.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, the establishment and effective operation of legal compliance and legal risk management systems.