Finance and Operation Manager
Freemuse (www.freemuse.org) is a Copenhagen-based international human rights organisation defending artistic freedom. Freemuse has UN ECOSOC consultative status and is generally regarded by the UN, international organisations and partners as the world’s leading NGO in the field of freedom of artistic expression and creativity.
Freemuse monitors and documents violations of artistic freedom, and expose laws and policies that enable and sustain these violations. We leverage evidence-based advocacy for systemic structural changes at the international, regional and national levels working with partners, artists, and activists in the global south and north. Freemuse campaigns for and supports individual artists, focusing on women artists at the international and national levels. We facilitate and grow locally-owned national coalitions to defend artistic freedom and support their campaign and capacity building.
The Finance and Operation Manager will assume primary responsibility for the financial planning, monitoring and reporting functions of Freemuse. S/he will be responsible for HR-matters, staff contracting and recruitment; logistics, coordination of contracting with hosting partners and the operational side of dealing with regional offices and local partners; for office rent and other corporate support of the organisation. The Finance and Operation Manager will be a member of Freemuse’s Management Team and will attend board meetings as requested.
- To ensure accuracy & reconciliation of finance systems including development of actual-to-budget reports and financial reports and oversee day-to-day accounting and payment performed by related staff and/or companies.
- To support the development of budgets and new proposals, including ensuring that proposals comply with Freemuse’s full cost recovery principles and policies. Proactively making suggestions for changes to programme delivery or donor budgets in order to maximise the value of donor funds.
- To support the Executive Director and Management on financial reports to donors and the executive committee and other financial management and operational issues.
- To advice, implement and support the Executive Director and Management on staff and consultant contracting, recruitment and other human resources related matters
- To manage the HQ as well as regional and national offices, including legal and logistical arrangements, office rent, IT and other corporate services so that operations can be carried out smoothly.
- To coordinate contracting with hosting partners, including IT contractors and consultants
- To ensure and develop strong financial policies & procedures including Anti-Corruption & Bribery Policies and training of staff.
- To carry out due diligence reviews of Freemuse partners in line with Freemuse’s internal policies and procedures.
- To facilitate external financial audits of projects and offices in the region and ensuring compliance with the requirements of donors. where necessary.
- To manage operations at the secretariat, regional and national offices and local partners and other logistic tasks.
- To serve as acting executive director as agreed and attend Executive Committee meetings as requested.
Education and Qualification
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Qualified Accountant
- In-depth understanding of accounting for restricted income and expenditures by NGOs.
- Experience preparing multi-project budgets and reforecasting in line with donors’ funding programmes and projects
- Experience producing actual-to-budget reports
- Experience with budgeting, preferably including producing grant budgets in compliance with donor requirements
- At least five years of accounting experience. Experience working with NGOs strongly preferred
- Good understanding of compliance, external and internal audit processes and internal controls.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Excellent Excel skills and ability to self-learn in this area;
- Ability to work quickly, methodically and with a high attention to detail;
- Ability to work cross-culturally with those in other time zones from different cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and in high pressure situations whilst maintaining a calm and positive attitude;
- Willingness to do, on occasion, basic accounting or administrative tasks;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Commitment to Freemuse’ s vision, mission, core values and objectives.
- Cultural sensitivity and commitment to equal opportunities and non-discrimination.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their application (CV and a motivation letter addressing your fitness against the required qualifications) to Freemuse at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline of application: 1 pm on 27 May 2019
Please write the subject on email as “FOM – your first and surname”. No phone calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Reporting to: Executive Director
Key Relationships: Programme managers
Contract: 2 years with extension possibilities
Working hours: Full time