Investment Director working with investments in Financial Sector in developing countries
IFU is looking for an experienced Investment Director to help grow IFU’s investment in financial institutions and companies in developing countries to secure high sustainable development impact and commercial returns. You will be working with colleagues in deal teams on new investments. The major focus will be on banks and microfinance institutions. Information and communication technologies play an increasing and important role in promoting financial inclusion and value creation in financial institutions and are a growing area of interest for IFU.
As an Investment Director you will play a vital role in building a strong project pipeline of new investments. Main components in the job include identification and development of new investment initiatives, carrying out investment transactions as well as actively promoting value creation and development impact creation in existing investments - all in close cooperation with colleagues.
All investment professionals in IFU take part in deal teams, and as an Investment Director you will be part of transactions for new investments by active participation in deal teams. Staffing on a deal team depends on individual availability, competences and sector knowledge, and can either be from a contributing point of view or a learning perspective.
The main investment area of this Investment Director will be financial institutions and companies that promote financial inclusion of businesses and households in developing countries. The major focus will be on banks and microfinance institutions. Information and communication technologies play an increasing and important role in promoting financial inclusion and value creation in financial institutions and are a growing area of interest for IFU. The position will have the Vice President for the financial sector as line manager and will have focus on Sub-Saharan African.
Within mainly the financial sector,
- Identify and develop new investment opportunities and a strong project pipeline for IFU
- Prepare, participate and follow-up on meetings with potential project partners, together with deal team members
- Actively participate in marketing activities to promote IFU investments, e.g. participate in seminars and conferences
- Disseminate knowledge about IFU through active contact to relevant stakeholders and target segments including Danish companies, investment banks, PE funds, other DFIs etc.
- Participate in or conduct the due diligence processes (with regard to finance, sustainability, governance, management and other key issues)
- Elaborate project appraisals and recommendations for IFU’s Investment Committee with regard to new investments and additional investments in existing portfolio companies
- Financial modelling and valuation analysis to support the deal structuring process
- Negotiate and finalize deals including legal and other aspects with support from in-house and external experts
- Manage demanding project development processes/partnerships.
- Build and maintain a close and constructive relationship with IFU’s partners in the investments.
- Represent IFU on the board of directors in selected portfolio companies, depending on experience and board composition
- Lead review and assessment of optimal exit timing
Solid experience with deal execution from equity deals, debt financing, structured finance, capital markets and project financing documentation are key. In addition, you should have:
- Master’s degree within business, finance, economics, law or equivalent
- Proven track record of executing deals (M&A etc.), carry out due diligence on financial models, sustainability, governance, management of financial institutions, including microfinance institutions and banks in developing countries, as well as the assessment of development impact of investing in financial institutions
- Experience from Sub-Saharan Africa
- Relevant cultural and geographic skills
- Fluent in English both in writing and speaking. In addition, working-level knowledge of French or Spanish would be an advantage
- +10 years of relevant experience, proven track record
- Capacity to work independently, lead processes on your own and be a resource for others/ mentor others through challenging decision-making processes
- Confident user of Microsoft Office and especially Excel
IFU is driving change to create sustainable societies in the developing world, and we would like to welcome one more colleague on the team to push for this change.
Application: If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. The recruitment process will be carried out by BackerSkeie. If you would like to know more about this opportunity, please feel free to contact Partner Carsten Hønberg, tel. +45 4090 4647. We will be conducting interviews on an ongoing basis.
Applications are processed continuously.
IFU – Investment Fund for Developing Countries provides risk capital and advice to companies wishing to set up business in developing countries. Investments are made on commercial terms in the form of equity and loans. The purpose is to promote economic and social development in investment countries. IFU acts as the fund manager for the Danish SDG Investment Fund, Danida Sustainable Infrastructure Finance, the Danish Climate Investment Fund, the Danish Agribusiness Fund, IFU Investment Partner and the Investment Fund for Central and Eastern Europe. IFU’s head office is located in Copenhagen, and we have regional offices in China, India, Singapore, Kenya, Ghana, Colombia, Brazil and Ukraine. For more information, see www.ifu.dk.