MTG System Engineer
EUMETSAT is developing its next generation geostationary satellite system, Meteosat Third Generation (MTG), in partnership with the European Space Agency (ESA), and will launch the first three MTG satellites in the 2022-2025 period.
The MTG system includes three satellites of two different types, for imagery (MTG-I) and sounding (MTG-S) missions and a comprehensive ground segment for mission control, data acquisition and processing and delivery of real-time products to users, and a number of system support tools.
Reporting to the System Engineering Manager, the System Engineer contributes to the system engineering activities, in particular those related to requirements engineering, system budgets engineering, management of the system design and its interfaces, with focus on the MTG sounding.
- Working in collaboration with other engineering teams (MTG-S instrument functional chain, ground segment, verification teams, operations preparation,) and relevant MTG project management bodies:
- Contribute to the maintenance of the system requirements and the technical baseline, identifying evolutions and analysing the acceptability of deviations and waivers;
- Contribute to maintaining the system architecture and design and managing its interfaces;
- Establish, maintain and manage system-level technical budgets, including system performances and relevant margins;
- Generate, maintain and manage the system analyses in support of the verification process;
- Contribute to the preparation of in-orbit commissioning activities including pre-launch validation activities;
- Ensure that the system is built in line with the requirements and design;
- Support system commissioning of successive versions of the MTG system, comprising one, two and three satellites in orbit including recurrent satellite launches.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven experience in complex aerospace/space development systems, especially in design and implementation;
- Ownership of system requirements including their management in an appropriate tool, preferably DOORS;
- Providing system engineering expertise to a verification campaign;
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and team working skills, flexibility, strengths in analysis, synthesis and presentation.
The initial contract will be of 4 years’ duration, with subsequent 5-year contracts being awarded thereafter, subject to individual performance and organisation requirements. There is no limit to the amount of follow-up contracts a staff member can receive up to the EUMETSAT retirement age of 63 and there are certainly opportunities to establish a long career perspective at EUMETSAT.
This post is graded A2/A4 on the EUMETSAT salary scales. The minimum basic salary for this post is EURO 5,797 per month (net of internal tax) which may be negotiable on the basis of skills and experience. The salary scale provides for increments on the anniversary of taking up employment, and scales are reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council with effect from 1 January each year. In addition to basic salary, EUMETSAT offers attractive benefits. Further information, including salary details, is available on the EUMETSAT web site.
EUMETSAT is committed to providing an equal opportunities work environment for men and women.
Please note that only nationals of EUMETSAT Member States may apply. The EUMETSAT Convention requires that Staff shall be recruited on the basis of their qualifications, account being taken of the international character of EUMETSAT.
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency. Its role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organization's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.)