Artistic Director (m/f/d)
sets standards. Innovative and forward-looking, it’s a place where knowledge, thinking and creativity are combined with a zest for life. This is where questions about the present meet ideas for tomorrow. As a museum of contemporary art with an international outlook focusing on architecture and design, its dedication to art revolves around exhibitions, outreach activities and art education. The unique spatial experience of the sensational building designed by Frank Gehry acts as a challenge for a diverse programme. Marta Herford is curious and inventive, thinks outside the box, and is always on the lookout for the unique.
To further develop Marta’s profile, we are seeking to fill the position of a dedicated and motivated
Artistic Director (m/f/d)
to manage Marta Herford gGmbH as of January 1, 2022.
We are looking for a visionary, creative and charismatic person who, due to their previous curatorial and organizational experience as well as their domestic and international network, is able to maintain and elevate Marta’s already high artistic level and positive visitor development. Marta Herford is to be positioned as an innovative place where people can meet and share ideas, as a place of openness and diversity that constantly opens new horizons, and as a source of stimulation for the region as well as internationally. Marta’s regional commitment is just as important as its integration within a national and international context as well as lively dialogue with other cultural and educational institutions.
- Shaping the future direction of the museum, especially through the steering and conception of nationally and internationally top-class temporary exhibitions in active dialogue with contemporary artists; responsibility for the supervision and further development of the Marta Collection
- Devising innovative concepts for outreach and audience acquisition in order to guide Marta Herford’s future development with fresh impetus
- Coordinating, managing, organizing and supporting all related activities, including the acquisition of external funding
- Reinforcing networking with the urban society, the region, and the other cultural offerings in the area
- Initiating and supporting innovative projects in the field of education and outreach
- Close cooperation with shareholders, the friends’ and supporters’ association, sponsors and funding bodies, etc.
- Smooth, supportive cooperation with the commercial management department; jointly running Marta Herford by heading a team of up to 40 employees
- University degree in art history, art studies or similar
- Experience managing a prominent museum with independently curated exhibitions
- Leadership competence and management experience in the organizational and economic department of a museum or exhibition venue
- First-rate knowledge of the current art scene and a broad, reliable network of domestic and international contacts; extensive experience working with professional artists and cultural workers; experience dealing with shareholders, sponsors, funding institutions and volunteers
In addition, we expect:
- Sound knowledge of the financing of projects through external funding from sponsors, public funding bodies etc.
- Experience in committee work of public companies
- A high degree of dedication, initiative, flexibility and commitment
- Internal and external communication skills as well as negotiation abilities combined with high social competence
- Digital competence including an understanding of potentials and limitations
- If necessary, a willingness to acquire good German language skills within one year of taking up the post
- Knowledge of foreign languages and familiarity with commonly used IT programs
- Residence in the region
The successful candidate can look forward to:
- An extraordinary, varied and challenging position in a unique institution for an initial period of five years with the possibility of extension
- Implementing your own ideas and new concepts in liaison with the shareholders
- Collaboration with a motivated, experienced team; very good working atmosphere
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please call the chairman of the shareholders’ meeting of Marta Herford gGmbH, Mayor Tim Kähler (phone: +49 5221 189 228).
Please send your application in German (comprising a cover letter explaining your interest in this position, and your résumé (both in German), certificates and references, and other relevant documents, as well as your earliest starting date, salary expectations, and the contact details of three referees) in a single PDF file no larger than 5MB by email addressed to the chairman of the shareholders’ meeting of Marta Herford gGmbH, Mayor Tim Kähler, using the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is August 31, 2021.
All applications will be evaluated solely on the basis of applicants’ professional qualifications. Skills will be considered regardless of ethnic origin, skin colour, religion, gender, sexual identity, nationality, disability or age.